Template

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Layla Grace

I am not sure if any of you have heard about this little girl but she has completely touched my heart.  I am sure that the story would have affected me prior to being a mommy but is has a brand new meaning as I look at Avery and pray to God every day that she stays healthy.  Layla Grace passed a on Monday after battling stage 4 cancer.  She was 2 years old and her parents shared their journey via blog and twitter.  I originally read about this on Facebook and began to follow her story.  Each time that I read a blog entry I would end up crying my eyes out and want to just hold my baby and never put her down.  Here is a part that her mom wrote that shows the depth that this family faced.  It truly makes me thank God every day for a healthy baby and makes me treasure every day with her.  Thank you God for a healthy baby.

The link to her blog is below is well. 

Towards the end of a pregnancy, a mother will wake up to go to the bathroom every few hours. I think this is the body’s way of preparing you for a newborn and the sleepless nights that come along with it. Layla now spends most of her days sleeping. 30-45 minutes after she wakes up, she is ready to lay down and sleep again. Is this God’s way of preparing me for all the quiet time that is coming soon? The house is quiet. I am able to go through the motions of laundry, dishes, cooking and picking up without interruptions. But I WANT interruptions. I WANT Layla to be under my feet asking for cookies. I WANT to hear her playing with her toys. I WANT to take 45 minutes to unload the dishwasher because she keeps trying to help. For every time I uttered the words “I just can’t get anything done with these kids under my feet all day” I am eternally regretful. The days that I looked forward to naptime so I could get a grocery list made, or finally fold all the piles of laundry…I regret those days too. If I could do it all again, I’d enjoy EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT I had with her. I would never wish for her to sit still or take a nap or go to bed early. I would never look forward to the days when she could sit through an entire episode of Dora silently. I would treasure every second with her.

http://laylagrace.org/ 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Layla was first introduced to me, my heart broke. Then fear set in...I am not guaranteed anything. Nathan can be taken from me at any moment. I look at Nathan a little differently. When it is 2 am and I find myself in his room nursing and rocking him because he woke up crying, I feel blessed. Holding your child in your arms is spiritual. It is so obvious that a bond between Mother and child was crafted by God. Through Layla, God reminded me that my passion needs to be to know and follow hard after him. I think it is hard not to loose ourselves in our children, especially when they are small. I cannot imagine the pain of watching your child die. I do not think I would be able to pick myself up off the floor. We are all connected to the Marsh family now because they shared Layla with us...they did not shut themselves up in their house and keep her to themselves...they were brave enough to talk about the reality of death. For that, I find them truly amazing. We are so blessed to have healthy children. But how amazing is it to think that Layla is with Jesus. She did not have to experience evil...she never had to choose right from wrong. Anyways, I am going on and on...I really just wanted to say that I, too, was deeply and irrevocably touched by Layla and the Marsh family.