What a week. Where do I even begin. She was born on a Saturday morning. The weather over the weekend was kind of gloomy and cloudy so it was a perfect weekend to be cooped up snuggling with our little girl Once we had her that Saturday morning, the entire family came to visit us all. It was nice to have some visitors since we didn't really have any when we had Avery in Vegas but it was nice to get to our recovery room and get a little rest since I did not sleep at all the night before!
We stayed in the hospital until Monday morning mainly so that Ben’s parents could stay through the weekend at our house with Avery and get some good quality time with her. We were actually cleared to go home on Sunday but it was nice to get to stay an extra day and have warm meals brought to you and nurses double checking that everyone is ok. She had a bit of jaundice but her levels were not high enough for them to do anything about it. We left Monday around noon and got home to a nice welcoming with a sign and stork. We tried to get some family pics in front of them but Avery was not really into it.
Sophey of course was excited to meet the little one and the pics are just about the same as when we brought Avery home. It seems like there are more smells and things going on around our house here than in Vegas as Sophey is queen of barking here. I have to admit my patience with her has been a little low so I am hoping that she settles in before she starts waking up these napping kids.
| Meeting Kennedy for the first time |
![]() |
| Meeting Avery for the first time! |
Monday and Tuesday were pretty uneventful. We were just getting settled seeing what life would be like with two kids. Everything takes double the time but I am sure that it is just a learning curve. Kennedy was sleeping wonderful that first night as long as it was on one of us and since that is a terrible habit to get into, we didn't want to continue it. So Tuesday night, we tried putting her in the bassinet and she was not having it. At one point she just lost it and cried for about 2 hours. I had no idea what was wrong with her other than I am sure she was overly tired and hungry since my milk had not come in.
Wednesday we got up to take her to the pediatrician for her check up. She had dropped in weight to 8.7 which is pretty normal but Dr. Krause thought she looked a bit jaundice so she sent us to get her blood drawn to see where her levels were. She gave us 4 scenarios that could happen based on her level that came back. The lowest being that we just keep an eye on her and worst case that we have to take her to the NICU to be put under the lights. She didn't seem to concerned so neither were we. We took her to get blood drawn and went home and Ben left for practice and I was about to take a nap since my mom was there and I got a call letting us know that we had to take her to the NICU as her level was at 19. To describe the feelings that I had at the exact moment are impossible. I was already having a ton of normal hormones dealing with being home and just birthing a baby and then this phone call hit me like a ton of bricks. The thought of my little girl having to go to the NICU was unthinkable. I was in total shock and I just lost it. In fact I think that I cried pretty much for 24 hours straight until I had no tears left to cry.
I called Ben right away and he came home and off we went to the NICU. As soon as we walked in I was utterly shocked at the babies in there. I had never been in a NICU and it absolutely broke my heart. Just writing this is stirring up all of those emotions again. Here was my 8 1/2 lb healthy, although a bit yellow/orange baby, next to these little 1-2 pound babies that can’t even be touched. Many of them had more wires and cords coming out of them than I could even count. It was hard to feel sad and scared for my
own child when all I could think about was how long these other babies were going to have to be in here for. Talk about a lesson in appreciation. Once Kennedy got on the table and they got her hooked up, the reality set in that we were here too. Regardless of how healthy Kennedy looked, we were still here and were going to be here for at least 24-48 hours. Saying that I was emotional is understatement. Watching them get an IV in her arm and being pricked and prodded was unbearable. I could not stop the tears from coming. The sucrose water that they kept putting on her pacifier to sooth her was working and she was barely making a peep but seeing your child go through something like this and you not being able to do anything about it is heart wrenching.
By about 5pm that Wednesday, she was up on her table with her shades on and she was to stay there unless she was hungry which was about every 2-3 hours. My milk had just come in so I wanted her to eat as often and as much as she could since the milk would help lower the levels as well. They told us that we could go home and she was in great hands but the thought of leaving her was too much so for the next 48 hours, Ben and tag teamed and one of us was always there with her. She stayed hooked up on the table until about 11 the next morning and thank God her levels were dropping. Since they were dropping, we were able to get her off the table and into a belly light blanket that did the same thing but rather than have to lay on a table, she stayed wrapped in and we were able to hold her. Once her levels dropped a bit more, they took her off her IV and fluids so she had less cords that we had to deal with. By 4pm that day, her levels had dropped again so she got all monitors except a heart monitor off and her IV out and they moved us to a private room. We had to stay another night to have her levels checked again in the morning. By 2pm the next day, we were
on our way home. Thank God!
We were so grateful to be home and I think Ben and I both realized how lucky we are to have two healthy children. Seeing so many babies in the NICU was a lesson of appreciation. Being able to take her home was one of the best moments. I am thankful for such a great hospital and over cautious Drs but so glad that we are out of there and I pray I never have to see those walls again. I think it also taught me to slow down and
enjoy every moment with this little bundle of joy. While we were in the NICU, I couldn't worry about the mess in the kitchen or Avery’s toys everywhere or the clothes that needed to be put away. I could only focus on being present for Kennedy and praying that she would get to come home and we could be a family of 4 again (5 of course counting Sophey!)
Since we have been home, we are working on getting on a schedule. I am pretty sure we have another tummy sleeper on our hands as that is how she seems to sleep best unless she is laying on us. While I love her sleeping on me knowing she will only be this little once, I don’t want to get into a habit of her only sleeping on us. We shall see.
Avery is a great big sister and a huge help and we are so happy that she has taken the
last with strides. She is so gently and loving with her and she is going to truly be the
best big sister.
Here are some additional pics from the first week.
![]() |
| Can you tell who is who? |












No comments:
Post a Comment